Tuesday, November 20

Green Machine with Chocolate Smoothie recipe

Number 9 on my list, "figure out how to juice my food" has been accomplished!  Instead of juicing I prefer blending frozen smoothies.  I drink green smoothies because I just don't even have the TIME to sit and eat all the spinach I need to eat, and generally I eat while I'm working.  If you're interested in adding some goodness to your lunch here's a pretty good guide to start out making whatever your tastes are like.  I won't promise you it will in any way taste like an ice cream sandwich but just wait 5 mins and you'll feel virtually high on vegetables.  It's insane.




If you're wondering why we don't want to just add yogurt, sugar or other yummy things, or you've ever heard the term "eating clean" all it means is you eat as little processed foods as possible, excluding sugar and dairy from your diet as much as possible.  It makes a big difference for a minimal amount of 'taste sacrifice' in my opinion, but I do have a pretty yummy recipe if you like chocolate for breakfast.


Even if you are in perfect health, maybe you are a busy person in the morning who finds themselves either forgetting to eat entirely or eating whatever little thing they find while all the good food sits in the fridge.  Take 5 minutes and make this next time! and you'll be full and happy until lunch.


Recipe: Chocolate-Oat Breakfast Smoothie

(recipe adapted, picture from ohmyveggies.com)


ingredients
  • 1/2 c. old-fashioned (steel cut) oats
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 c. almond, soy, or coconut milk 
  • 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. almond butter (or regular peanut butter if you like)
  • *optional 1 tsp. agave nectar or honey or stevia for added sweetness

instructions
  1. Blend your oats first into a fine powder.
  2. Add banana, wet ingredients then dry ingredients into the blender and process until smooth and well-combined. Add more almond milk for a thinner consistency if you find it too thick.

No comments: