Sunday, February 15

Rachael Ray can suck it

So for the 'tines I thought it would be nice to save going out for dinner and cook it all myself, as my gift. There was no real theme other than stuff I know Sean likes.. though there were a suspiciously large amount of red ingredients. I thought maybe I'd post what I made + my ultra helpful photos and the recipes. You know, in case anyone who reads this also wants to spend 8 hours in the kitchen, burning themselves once.

Sorry.. I forget not everyone has to do things exactly like me.


Cranberry Feta Summer Salad
1 pkg. (10 oz.) spinach salad leaves
1 cup sweetened dried cranberries (I used Crasins actually)
1 pkg. (4 oz.) Crumbled Feta Cheese
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
*the actual recipe calls for chopped Walnuts but I left them out because Sean doesn't like them

Directions:
Layer your salad, cranberries, cheese in shallow salad bowl or on large serving platter.

Whisk vinegar, honey, mustard and pepper in small bowl. Slowly add oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly until well blended. Pour over salad. Toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.





Roasted Smoked Paprika Chicken with Lemon and Garlic Potatoes

The funny story on this is this dish is titled literally as "man pleasing dinner" but when I called up the recipe to show my friend Brooke what I was making I typed into google "man pleasing" .. and let's just say that was NOT what I was looking for lol.

You need 4 Chicken breasts with the skin on, one fresh lemon, garlic, salt, olive oil, oregano, smoked paprika (the recipe called for spanish paprika but I can never find any), and mini potatoes.

Cut up several small white and red potatoes... about this many

Toss them with 1/2 a lemons juice, olive oil, salt, minced fresh garlic, and dried oregano and spreading them out in a wide shallow pan. Then you make a paste of the juice of the other half a lemon, about 2 T. of dried oregano, 2 T. smoked Spanish paprika, crushed fresh garlic, 2 T. kosher salt, 2 T. olive oil. Flatten the chicken halves out and placed them over the potatoes in the pan. Spread the paste all over the outside of the chicken and placed it in a preheated 450 degree oven. This took about 1 hour to cook and it was delicious, especially the garlicky, lemony drippings.




Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting


This is where I burned myself.. since we went shopping all day etc. cooking this all from scratch was a little tiring so coming across the finish line I ended up not paying too much attention to the hot oven. But.. red velvet cake is basically the Cadillac of desserts so I couldn't wimp out. And since I'm a winner in the kitchen I wore an apron and everything.

I got the recipe from Pinch My Salt, so you can find it there. Keep reading if you want to know how NOT to make it. Aka. how I fucked it up in the first minute. Exhibit A.


Dexter's Bloodspatter Pattern
If you're like me you'll want to totally not read the first sentence in the directions which tells you to mix the Cocoa and red food colour together and SET ASIDE. Instead I threw the Cocoa into the flour (I got the special self rising pastry kind where it has the baking powder and salt already in it, score) and then I was left having to blend the red colouring into the sugar and butter mixture. It's real great if you want to make sure it looks like you've been slaughtering deer all day. Then licking it off the spoon.
Exhibit B?
Try and find red food colouring on Valentines Day and get totally fucked out of it and the recipe has less than it should. I literally ran to the store, twice, because I also forgot the Baking Soda AND sugar too! Fuck you, primary colours.
Oh but did I mention they were heart-shaped cupcakes?


So cute, right? And pretty yummy, I have to say, I had a very full and happy valentine. We're also going to a Day Spa this week for a bunch of fun and relaxing stuff, I can't wait! Especially since I get to go there with my new perfect Guess purse lol. It's the red velvet cupcake of purses. So much for not getting spoiled this year.. darn.



No comments: