Thursday, April 5

30 candles



My birthday ended up being full of really funny stuff that happened.  In the morning a friend of mine and I went to the salon to get blonder/summer'er for me and we chatted etc. The girl doing her hair was a bit slower than mine so she was getting annoyed that my friend kept facing me to talk, kept snapping her head back and then actually turned her around.  My grade school teachers would be satisfied to know that even on my 30th birthday I still get separated for talking too much to my friends!  That wasn't the funny part I mean though, so, while she's turned around I'm laughing that I got her in trouble and go return a birthday phone call.  My friend chats up the lady she is facing now about stuff etc and when I get back I see that woman is either a) so in love with her hair she doesn't know what to do with herself or b) she absolutely hates her hair.  PS IT WAS B.

This woman treated us to a salon tirade I have never heard before and I loved it!  Apparently they let the woman who made my tea style her hair.  She had a wedding to go to and told them she needed to be out of there by 1pm so not only did she HATE it, and it looked exactly like it did when she came in, but she had no time for them to fix it so three people had to rush over to try and calm her down.  I was almost sad we had to go because I'd love to know how it turned out.

Anyhow after that I spent the day with the kids the other birthday treat was dinner with just me and the hubbs at a restaurant called Tappo's in the (historic) Distillery District of Toronto.  Pretty cool area if you haven't been as I hadn't, but when we got there for our late reservations we noticed everything was hard to find since it was poorly lit.. in fact everything looked closed except for this huge band playing in the square (for me, maybe? nah).  There were all these people there, with kids even, holding candles and whatnot... neat, I guess?  We thought we might be late for our reservations until we realized the restaurant was behind the band playing.  When we get to our table I notice, hey, I know candle light dinners are great but they kind of went crazy with it.. candles everywhere!  Then it hits me.

Yes, we made reservations for Earth Hour and had no idea.

We didn't even realize we had oil and vinegar on the table until the lights came on, that's how dark it was, at our own table.  Luckily it really was a fun evening and the food and wine was fantastic, aaaaand we got to enjoy dessert with lights ON.  Best end to the night is when we stopped at the Mill Street Brewery Pub and had a pint of fresh organic.. sooo awesome.  Definitely spending some time in summer there with friends very very soon.

1 comment:

Greta said...

sounds like such a fun 30th!!! I was super preggo on mine, so couldn't partake in any wine, and felt full after a quarter of my meal...not cool! I hope you are adjusting to this new decade okay! :D