Monday, January 28

I have Moving Picture Sickness

What Causes Motion Sickness?

Motion sickness occurs when the brain receives conflicting messages from the inner ear, the eyes, and other parts of the body.

While watching Cloverfield, viewers were sitting still in their seats, so their inner ear was telling their body they were motionless. But the bumpy camera movements -- and their eyes -- misled them into thinking they were moving around erratically.

These conflicting messages to the brain lead to symptoms of motion sickness, most notably nausea. Other symptoms include vomiting, headache, and sweating.

[Full Article via WebMD]


Yes, I have the mysterious Cloverfield sickness.  I watched it last night, unsuspecting, and do you want to know what it feels like exactly?  The spins, without the alcohol.  For anyone who also was affected by the movie, you will understand how disappointing it was.  And anyone who hasn't seen it, I am just warning you it may happen and totally ruin EVERYTHING!

I don't think Sean fully understood how sick I was getting but I literally could not look at the screen for most of it, or even the motion shadows it was casting on the floor.  I was fairly close to throwing up, breathing hard, and my stomach was literally eating itself to the point I had all kinds of gas trapped in it.  This phenomenon may sound pretty silly to someone who was alright watching the movie, but for me it was basically an hour of torture.  I was really looking forward to it, too.  I love J. J. Abrams.  I also recall now that I had this same reaction during the Blair Witch Project and had to leave.  So weird. This still doesn't fully make sense to me since I am not motion sick on boats or cars or planes etc.  ...so there's a little fun fact for you.  Strap me to the Superman roller-coaster for 2 hours but please, for the love of God, do not make me watch shaky camera movements!

No comments: