Tuesday, December 18

Hot Potato


I was cooking dinner last night and had the most random memory pop into my head about playing the game Hot Potato.  You know what I'm talking about right?  The plush musical potato named "Chip O'Gratten" that you throw around and everyone gets into such wild hysterical fights about who gets to be the last one holding it.  It was so much fun!  And that little sweating potato graphic, so cute right?  When I was little I was, what's the word the daycare called me.. oh yes "saucy" and was not often allowed to play as a punishment for probably not listening to someone about something stupid I did or did not do.  It was clear that this was my most favourite game so I got to sit and watch all the other kids play with "Chip".  Anyways, I am almost tempted to go find this game and buy it and hold onto that hot potato as long as I feel like.  Haha.

Last night was pretty fun for a Monday night.  I had a really crappy day of trying to get things done AFTER the snowstorm (now I am sore and have bruises on my legs, for reals) so it was nice I got to chill with Andrea for a bit after work. We randomly ran into some friends at Sobey's whilst buying smoothies, too.  I have to mention it was midnight, btw, so that was actually random.. not just sort of.  So we hung out with them for a while talking and eating cookies.  It was about as fun as winning at Hot Potato, which from what I remember is a lot.  I think I also managed to buy Andrea's soul for my blue sweater.  I decided I want to start a collection of souls.  Haha.

On another note.. it's hard to believe Christmas is almost here.  I get to have everyone at my house this year though, and make Christmas dinner for the first time ever!  I'm sure my grandma will bring a bunch of things BUT I'm psyched, I think I can moderately not fail at doing this!  Good luck to me!










If anyone is interested here is the recipe for what I made for dinner:

STEAK AND GARLIC POTATOES

4-6 steaks
8 med red potatoes
2 tbsp butter or margarine 
1 cup of milk
1/2 or 2/3 can diced tomato
5 cloves of garlic
Montreal Steak Spice (McCormick or other)
1 tbsp chives
1/2 cup of olive oil
1 tsp basil

Preheat oven to 400 F.  While potatoes are boiling, make the steak sauce.  Combine diced tomatoes in a mason jar or container, with 3 cloves of minced garlic, basil and olive oil.  Add salt and pepper.. usually a tsp of salt and a few pinches of pepper.  Lay the steaks on a broiling pan, shake the steak spice on both sides of the steaks then cover with the sauce.  Put in the oven for about 1 hour, checking after 30 mins to turn over and reapply sauce again.  

When potatoes are ready, mash with skins on, add 2 cloves of properly minced garlic, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tbsp of chives.  Add milk and butter and whip together with a handheld mixer.  I am emphasizing the mincing of the garlic so you don't get a big chunk of it while eating and have your eyes well up with tears.

No comments: